WELCOME TO THE MINIS for players 3 – 9 years old
Get active, make friends and start learning how to play Rugby.
For BOYS and GIRLS. No matter your size or shape, be part of the team and develop your coordination skills with a safe pathway to competition Rugby. Minis Rugby is about ensuring all the kids get involved, have a lot of fun and learn the game in a safe and positive environment.
Mini Rugby is governed by what is known as TryRugby Kids Pathway. The aim of the TryRugby Kids Pathway for U5 to U12 players is to provide a series of age-specific modified rugby games. These modified rugby games progressively develop the individual skills, fitness and team work of all players in accordance with their physical maturity and understanding of the game.
The rules are designed to make Rugby safe for young players. The most important rules are:
- U5 – U7 do not tackle, they play double-handed tag.
- Players to not push or contest the scrum.
- Tackling above the armpits is illegal.
TRAINING and GAMES
Minis train U6-U9 at Hassall Park on Friday from 5:30pm to 6:30pm.
St Ives Rugby has a licensed bar that is generally open on training nights, of which parents and friends are welcome to socialise.
The Minis U6-U9 play on Saturday mornings. Home games are played at Hassall Park. Away games are played at a variety of ovals through Sydney’s North Shore.
The Mighty U5’s program is run with other Gordon district clubs on Saturday mornings from 9-10am. NOW at Hassall Park, St Ives.
There is an expectation that parents will assist in various ways to spread the load. Dads and mums help with the coaching and managing of the teams and the atmosphere on and off the ground is one of great sportsmanship and community. The club will assist coaches, especially when starting out. The ARU requests all coaches complete the compulsory online Smart Rugby eCourse.
Parents are also required to help out with ground set-up, washing jerseys, providing the oranges, canteen and BBQ. Your team manager will likely roster each family from time to time.
The club also needs people to help in the running of the club. The club is always looking for people to help out by becoming;
- Co-ordinators for various jobs including the canteen and bar.
- To work behind the Bar on training nights (the club will pay for your RSA certification).
- Committee Member and offering your services and expertise.
For more general information, registration and to keep up to date various news, please join our TeamApp. The app can be downloaded on your smartphone or browsed on the web.
All coaches and assistant coaches are required to be SMART Rugby Qualified. It’s a fairly easy online course that practically, means they know the rules, the safety drills and have great knowledge to pass on to the kids.
Smart Rugby is the Australian Rugby Union’s flagship free online eCourse for building coach and match official understanding of safety considerations both on and off the field.
Over 20,000 coaches and match officials in Australia receive their Smart Rugby safety qualification each year. Their dedication helps to make our game safer and more enjoyable to play.
There are three Smart Rugby modules designed to help you build your understanding of the theory and application of Smart Rugby principles:
- Introduction to Smart Rugby
- Playing Smart – Tackle, Ruck and Maul
- Playing Smart – Set Pieces
The Introduction to Smart Rugby module provides up-to-date information on your due diligence and code of conduct responsibilities as well as common injury and injury prevention measures you need to be familiar with if you’re involved in the game. This includes ARU’s serious injury and concussion management protocols. You’ll hear from coaches, match officials, players and club officials about what Smart Rugby means to their role.
The two Playing Smart modules concentrate on the contact aspects of the Rugby game and provide best practice recommendations for ensuring injuries are prevented or otherwise safely managed.
This is an online course with interactive elements and assessments throughout.
MINIMUM AGE: 13 years old.
You must complete all three modules and pass all the assessments in order to receive your Smart Rugby accreditation.
The Smart Rugby course objectives are to:
- Promote player safety through education, protocols and information
- Teach correct technique to improve player standards and safety
- Ensure player participation, so that players from all backgrounds, male and female, feel welcomed and enjoy their participation in rugby
- Encourage player participation through a safer environment, on and off the field.
We reckon it’s great fun to run around with your mates.
We encourage all players to participate and therefore improve week by week.
So therefore don’t fuss over the results for minis.
If you would like to view broader results, your profile and registration details using the Rugby Xplorer App
For more general information, registration and to keep up to date various news, please join our TeamApp.
The app can be downloaded on your smartphone or browsed on the web.
ONLINE Registration for St Ives Junior Rugby is now OPEN
If you have any questions please attend our Open Day at Hassall park on Sunday March 3rd 3pm-5pm.
And REMEMBER to bring a friend
Register ONLINE via following the following links
The easiest way to download the Rugby Xplorer app from your App Store.
Register with St Ives Junior Rugby using Rugby Xplorer HERE
Links will also be provided on our St Ives Rugby – Juniors TeamApp.
If you would like to take advantage of the $100 active kids vouchers. Please see the info below.
Active Kids Vouchers
Through our online registration process you can take advantage of the NSW Governments “active kids program” offering a $100 rebate for school kids under 18 years old.
The $100 DISCOUNT is only available if you have the necessary “active kids” VOUCHER CODE acquired by accessing your MyGov account. The vouchers are available now. If you do not have a MyGov account you will be required to open a new account. We suggest you allow approx 20 mins for this process……
APPLY for VOUCHER CODE NOW https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/apply-active-kids-voucher
More information is available for the NSW Gov “active kids” voucher initiative via the Office of Sport: www.sport.nsw.gov.au/activekids
GEAR / EQUIPMENT
- Jerseys – Supplied “on loan” by the club. Each manager is responsible for issuing and collection.
- Shorts and Socks – New players will receive free of charge. Returning players may purchase at minimal cost. Available from the clubhouse on our Open Day and on some designated training nights. Your team manager will advise and info will be posted on TeamApp.
- Boots – Moulded or screw-in OK (providing studs are not sharp or missing).
- Headgear & Body Armour (non compulsory) – They should be IRB approved.
- Training Gear and Merchandise – Purchase quality Paladin gear directly from our online store. We will look to stock items in the future. However, for the moment please allow lead time of approx 4 -6 weeks for delivery.
- Mouthguards (compulsory) – For many, a boil and bite mouthguard may be adequate. However, the ADA recommends a custom fitted mouthguard as being superior. Better comfort, protection and speech. Our sponsor Boss Hog Mouthguards supplies various local dentists with superior custom fitted mouthguards and most healthcare funds offer generous rebates. Why not visit your local dentist and get a dental health check at the same time.
MIGHTY U5’s Touch Rugby for boys & girls 3 – 5 years old
NOW at Hassall Park, St Ives on Saturdays from 9-10am
The Mighty U5’s Rugby program is a fun, non contact, safe tag (two hands) Rugby that emphasis’s maximum enjoyment for players and parents.
Mighty U5s is the perfect pathway into Minis (U6 – U9) Rugby. The program was developed by Terry Preston of Little Legends. Children participate in skill-based activities aimed at improving their individual skills, coordination, fitness and team work all under specialist coaches.
We engage players during the session using fun coaching queues to help them understand each skill. The program rotates between drills finishing with a modified game.
Mighty U5s is for BOYS and GIRLS from as young as 3 years old and a perfect introduction to rugby or any other sport.
Some skills they will learn and improve include:
- Running with the ball
- Game play
- Field boundaries
- Respect for team mates and referees
Players are welcome to TRY FREE
Registration is normally $165. ONLY $100 from June 15th
Players receive free playing gear including; shorts, socks, playing jersey (jersey on loan), footy and a trophy at the end of the season.
Register with St Ives Junior Rugby using Rugby Xplorer HERE
- Follow registration link
- [Search] St Ives Junior Rugby
- [Select] Modified Rugby Participant / Little Rugby / Season
or contact our director of minis for more info.
Lisa North (director minis) – firstname.lastname@example.org
More info here;
Matches and training will be ON unless notified by either your team manager or posted as news on our TeamApp.
Please be aware due to reasonably good drainage, Hassall Park can receive special clearance contrary to Council Notices, allowing for some common sense. In this case, coaches will train in areas of the main pitches.
For training nights, a decision to cancel will often not be made until 3pm.
For matches, every effort is made to notify teams with good notice. However, please understand if the decision to cancel is not made until you have already made the journey. Grounds are often assessed before play commences.
The ground status of Hassall Park will be posted on TeamApp
TeamApp can be downloaded on your smartphone or browsed on the web.